CML Accepting Applications for League Executive Board
In This Section
Applications for members interested in the CML Executive Board will be accepted through 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 10. Elections for the CML Executive Board will take place during a virtual annual business meeting at 10 a.m. on June 25. Members interested in running for one of the 10 positions up for election on the CML Executive Board are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.
The number of seats up for election in each population category are:
- one position from municipalities with a population of 250,000 or more for a two-year term;
- four positions from municipalities with a population of at least 60,000 but less than 250,000 for three two-year terms and one one-year term;
- three positions from municipalities with a population of at least 8,000 but less than 60,000 for two-year terms; and
- three positions from cities and towns with a population of less than 8,000 for two-year terms.
Each CML participating member municipality is entitled to vote to fill all vacancies on the board regardless of the population categories.
Under CML bylaws, CML Executive Board members must be elected or appointed officials of member cities and towns. Any official who desires to be nominated for a position on the CML Executive Board can ensure nomination by:
- filing an application for nomination, in letter or other written form, with the CML Nominating Committee. The application must be received in writing by the CML office at least 15 days prior to the annual business meeting, that is, by 5 p.m., Wednesday, June 10; and
- including with the application an endorsement in writing from the applicant’s city council or board of trustees, which also must be received by the CML office by Wednesday, June 10. Please note that a city council or board of trustees may endorse the nomination of only one official from the city or town for election.
- Municipal officials who meet the above qualifications will be placed on the nominating committee’s slate for consideration at the election during the annual business meeting.
File applications by June 10
Again, municipal officials who wish to pursue nomination and election to the CML Executive Board should file their written application with the CML Nominating Committee by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 10.
Email applications are strongly encouraged. Send email applications to email@example.com. Applications can also be mailed to the CML office at 1144 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80203, or faxed to 303-860-8175. Materials sent by regular mail should be sent a week early, due to delays in mail delivery.
Questions about the CML Executive Board or the election process may be directed to Kevin Bommer, executive director, at 303-831-6411, or 866-578-0936.
Promoting your candidacy
Individuals submitting applications for nomination are also encouraged to submit a headshot and candidate statement (100 words or less), which will be included on the CML website. Additionally, candidates may choose to submit a short video (two minutes or less) explaining why they are running for the executive board and why members should vote for them. If you choose to submit a video, that video will also be posted on the CML website.
A sample candidate statement may look like this:
Hi, I'm Jenny Jones and I'm running for the CML Executive Board. I have been a councilmember in Anytown for the past three years. In addition to serving on the council, I also serve on our water board and economic development commission.
I hope that you'll consider voting for me for the Executive Board because I'm committed to strong municipal governance and local control. I commit to attending every board meeting and actively participating in board discussions and votes.
I hope to have your vote on June 25!