In This Section
Roles and Responsibilities
The CML Executive Board consists of 21 municipal elected and appointed officials elected by their peers at the CML Annual Conference in June.
The responsibilities of the board are to:
- Understand and support the mission of the Colorado Municipal League and to act in the best interests of the organization.
- Recruit, select, and hire the paid Executive Director.
- Evaluate the performance of the Executive Director on an annual basis and make salary adjustments accordingly.
- Work with the staff to ensure that there are adequate resources (funding, staff & facilities) to fulfill the mission of CML.
- Ensure that proper financial controls are in place.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and establish CML’s priorities and corresponding programs and services.
- Through regular review, determine which programs are consistent with the CML’s mission and Board priorities, and monitor program effectiveness.
- Work to enhance CML’s image within the membership and with the public at large by articulating CML’s mission, accomplishments and priorities.
- Ensure the legal and ethical integrity of the CML organization thus maintaining accountability to the CML membership.
- Disclose potential conflicts of interest to the Board.
- Review the CML Board meeting agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
- Recruit and orient new Board members.
- Assess and evaluate Board performance, as necessary to carry out Board duties. Participate in CML Board training to develop the skills necessary to be an effective Board member.
- Recognize achievements by the Board, the Executive Director, and the CML staff.
- Remain current in civic, state, and national trends that may impact and affect member municipalities and the organization as a whole.