In This Section
April 12, 2019
Letters of application are being accepted to fill 11 positions on the CML Executive Board. Municipal officials wishing to be considered for one of these positions should follow the instructions below. Members whose names are placed on the ballot by the CML Nominating Committee will be voted on by the membership at the CML Annual Business Meeting scheduled for Thursday, June 20, beginning at 1:45 p.m., during the 97th CML Annual Conference in Breckenridge.
The vacancies to be filled at the election are:
- one position from municipalities with a population of 250,000 or more for a two-year term;
- three positions from municipalities with a population of at least 60,000 but less than 250,000 for two-year terms;
- three positions from municipalities with a population of at least 8,000 but less than 60,000 for two-year terms; and
- three positions from cities and towns with a population of less than 8,000 for two-year terms, and one position for a one-year term.
Each CML participating member municipality is entitled to vote to fill all vacancies on the board regardless of the population categories.
Under CML bylaws, CML Executive Board members must be elected or appointed officials of member cities and towns. Any official who desires to be nominated for a position on the CML Executive Board can ensure nomination by:
- filing an application for nomination, in letter or other written form, with the CML Nominating Committee (the application must be received in writing by the CML office at least 15 days prior to the annual business meeting, that is by 5 p.m., Wednesday, June 5; and
- including with the application an endorsement in writing from the applicant's city council or board of trustees, which also must be received by the CML office by Wednesday, June 5 (a city council or board of trustees may endorse the nomination of only one official from the city or town for election).
Municipal officials who meet the above qualifications will be placed on the nominating committee¹s slate for consideration at the election during the annual business meeting. If there are not enough qualified candidates to satisfy the minimum slate requirement, the committee may request that one or more additional officials become nominees to satisfy the minimum slate requirement. The minimum requirement under the bylaws is equal to the number of vacancies to be filled in each population category. Any officials added by the committee to meet the minimum number of candidates do not need the endorsement from the official¹s city council or board of trustees, nor do they need to have filed an application with the committee.
Finally, no later than five hours before the annual business meeting, other nominations for CML Executive Board members may be made by petition to the committee. The petition must be signed by at least 10 municipal officials representing at least 10 municipalities in attendance at the conference. Officials who are placed on the ballot by petition do not need the endorsement of their city council or board of trustees.
File Applications by Wednesday, June 5
Municipal officials who wish to pursue nomination and election to the CML Executive Board are encouraged to file a written application with the CML Nominating Committee. The application must be received by the League by Wednesday, June 5, and must be accompanied by the required written endorsement from the official¹s city council or town board of trustees.
These materials should be mailed or delivered to the CML office at 1144 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80203, or faxed to 303-860-8175. Sample application and endorsement letters are available by visiting the CML website, www.cml.org, under About > CML Executive Board.
Under League bylaws, population figures for the June 2019 election will be based upon population estimates from the Department of Local Affairs. These are the same figures that were used in computing 2019 municipal dues for member municipalities. Questions may be directed to Kevin Bommer at email@example.com, 303-831-6411, or 866-578-0936.
Periodicals Subscription Request
A members-only benefit.